Today, our Chamber submitted its 2024-2025 Provincial Pre-Budget Submission to the Government of Prince Edward Island.
Our recommendations are that the provincial government:
- Work closely with private-sector developers, municipalities, and other relevant stakeholders – including our Chamber – to increase the overall supply of housing units in PEI
- Grant landlords in PEI the right to increase vacant units, where a tenant leaves voluntarily, to Market Rate
- Expedite timeline to increasing Basic Personal Amount to $15,000
- Build inflationary increases into this $15,000 Basic Personal Amount threshold, commencing with next year.
- Implement a personal income tax indexing system to prevent inflationary bracket creep
- Partner with the private sector to fund a multi-sector workforce strategy with targets for economic growth, including business and community-led solutions.
- Invest in the Private Sector by Outsourcing Work (i.e., contract or full-time outsourcing to private sector businesses)
- Ensure provincial supports are in place to continue with aggressive immigration targets to match the federal government’s effort, including recruitment, integration and retention of immigrants that align with workforce needs.
- Maintain funding for immigration support services, like PEI Connectors, to support newcomers and their transition into our workforce and business community.
These recommendations – with a focus on housing, taxation, and workforce – were formulated based on feedback from the Chamber membership, Advocacy Committee, and Board of Directors.
Click here to read our submission.