Today, March 24th, the City of Charlottetown announced:
- Regarding the City’s Water and Sewer Utility, at this time, there will be no interest charges on late payments and all disconnections for non-payment have been suspended until further notice.
This evening, the provincial government offered the following information for Island businesses:
- The announcement of the temporary Employee Gift Card Program which offers a $100 Sobeys gift card to employees who have received a lay-off notice as a direct result of the impacts associated with COVID-19. Employers can apply to this program on behalf of employees beginning Wednesday, March 25th. Click here for further information and program criteria.
- Emergency Relief Worker Assistance Program applications are now open. Employers must apply for this program on behalf of their employees.
- Learn more about all provincial programs and resources available to you at the COVID-19 information for business page.
In response to questions regarding federal government initiatives and supports, please note the following:
- General information on EI, including tips for issuing Records of Employment.
- Federal Temporary Wage Subsidy FAQ.
- Learn more about federal programs and resources available to you at the COVID-19 businesses and employees page.
The Chamber network continues to be here for you across the country. The Canadian Chamber of Commerce has called for further government supports for businesses, noting that the 10% federal temporary wage subsidy is a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done. They highlighted that other countries have recognized this need and are offering to cover as much as 80 per cent of the incomes of workers who are laid off as a result of the health emergency.
As your local Chamber, we continue to express your concerns and feedback with government officials daily and are sharing relevant information as soon as it is made available, including:
- A Chamber resources page that is updated daily.
- Member updates as new information for business become available. View archived updates here.
- Relevant links on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Dawn Binns, President
Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce