Charlottetown, PE (January 18, 2022) – The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce issued the following statement regarding the new restrictions and public health measures announced on January 18, 2022:
“The new restrictions are tough news for our business community and all Islanders,” said Chamber CEO Robert Godfrey. “With that, we understand that this decision was necessary to get ahead of the evolving situation.”
The Chamber noted that these restrictions will be challenging to members of the business community who have experienced two years of reduced revenue dealing with COVID-19.
The Chamber encourages the Province and the Federal Government to re-evaluate the current suite of support programs for Island businesses in light of these new restrictions.
“While businesses are faced with reduced capacity and closure to in-room dining, we know Islanders will continue to support our business community as they have done before,” said Godfrey. “These businesses will continue to operate in a manner that ensures safety, and Islanders are encouraged to safely support local whenever and wherever possible in the spirit of supporting our communities.”
As of midnight January 18, 2022, the following measures will be in place for the next two weeks across PEI:
- No in-room dining at restaurants. Take-out, drive-thru, and delivery can continue.
- Gyms, fitness facilities, and all indoor recreational facilities will be closed.
- Retail stores may continue to operate at reduced capacity of 50 per cent with strict physical distancing
- Personal gatherings are limited to a single household, plus two additional support persons where needed.
- No organized gatherings are permitted
- Funeral and wedding ceremonies are permitted with up to 10 people plus officiants.
For the full list of new CPHO restrictions, please click here.
For a full list of current provincial government supports for Island businesses, click here. For a full list of federal programs, click here.
The Chamber knows that Islanders and the business community will get through the next two weeks together as we all strive to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep our communities safe.
Chief Executive Officer
(902) 628-2000 x 227