Want to be a part of the Chamber? Check out the Policy and Communications Specialist role below.
Policy and Communications Specialist
The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce is seeking to hire a permanent Policy and Communications Specialist to commence in May 2022.
The Policy and Communications Specialist will work with the CEO and Advocacy Committee to achieve the overall strategic advocacy direction of the Chamber to sustain and enhance the Chamber’s role as the “voice of business” in the greater Charlottetown area and province of PEI as a whole.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this highly motivated individual will:
- Manage media relations, including prioritizing inquiries and preparing briefing material for spokespersons.
- Coordinate the Chamber’s communications with its members, governments, stakeholders, and the public. This may include but is not limited to social media, quarterly magazine, website postings, e-newsletters and other correspondence.
- Build and manage government and stakeholder relationships as it relates to policy issues.
- Conduct research related to the local business community and economic landscape.
- Provide research and background material to support the advocacy initiatives and committees of the Chamber.
- Prepare briefing notes, reports, submissions, news releases, and other communications materials as required.
- Advise and support the work of the Chamber’s Advocacy Committee and its goals.
- Collect and analyze data, develop and implement surveying tools, and present information in a professional manner.
- Liaison with Chamber members about issues impacting their business operations.
- Coordinate events, symposiums, forums, and workshops in support of the advocacy work of the Chamber.
- Support the execution of Chamber media campaigns.
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess sound judgment, strong organizational skills, superior written and oral communication skills, works well as part of a team and individually, and works well under pressure.
A degree in business, economics, journalism, public relations, or public policy/political science is considered an asset. Political work/volunteer experience also considered an asset.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office is a requirement. Experience with design programs, WordPress, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, and mainstream social media platforms would be considered an asset.
Salary and Benefits:
$45,000-$55,000 per year, negotiable based on experience.
- Health and dental insurance with the Chamber of Commerce plan
- Paid vacation time
- 50% monthly parking coverage
- Cellphone bill coverage
- Health and wellness fitness subsidy
- Occasional travel to national and regional meetings
The Policy and Communications Specialist will also have an exceptional opportunity to expand their network and gain valuable experience by working with Chamber staff, members, and volunteers.
What does the Chamber do?
The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce (the Chamber) is proud to be Prince Edward Island’s largest business advocacy organization committed to supporting and connecting our business members.
- We are a non-partisan, not-for-profit membership-based organization.
- We are not a government agency, but we work closely with all levels of government to advocate for our members.
- We are part of a vast network of Chambers of Commerce, including the Atlantic Chamber of Commerce and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. Though we collaborate on regional and national issues, we operate independently.
- We are small business. Approximately 87% of our members have 25 employees or less.
- Our members are loyal, with 90% renewing their membership year to year.
The Chamber has 4 key pillars guiding our everyday work:
We represent our member businesses by addressing issues such as provincial, federal and municipal budgets; government program gaps; workforce and labour issues; and other areas that affect your ability to succeed and grow.
We provide a variety of benefits to our members including access to the Canadian Chamber Group Insurance Plan, exclusive cost savings benefits, attractive credit and debit card discounts, exporting assistance, and a variety of marketing and promotional opportunities.
We offer an assortment of workshops, seminars and educational events to keep you and your team current on relevant business topics and trends.
Through a variety of events, we connect our members with the business community and its stakeholders.
Please submit your cover letter, and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Policy and Communications Specialist.” Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday, April 20, 2022
The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, or veteran status.